More Of These...
- 12.5oz Nihon Menpu Natural Red Selvage Denim / Natural Unwashed
- 12.6oz Yoshiko Left Hand Denim / Blue Akira Wash
- 12.6oz Yoshiko Left Hand Denim / Blue Unwashed
- 13.5oz Nihon Menpu Dark Pure Indigo Rainbow Selvage Denim / Blue Dark Used
- 13.5oz Nihon Menpu Dark Pure Indigo Rainbow Selvage Denim / Blue Unwashed
- 13oz Kaihara Pure Indigo Stretch Denim / Blue Dark Used
- 13oz Kaihara Pure Indigo Stretch Denim / Blue Rinsed
- 13oz Kaihara Right Hand Denim / Black Unwashed
- 14oz Kurabo Recycled Red Selvage Denim / Blue Light Used
- 14oz Kurabo Recycled Red Selvage Denim / Blue Rinsed
- Kaihara Black x White Selvage Denim / Black Rinsed
This item is available for pre-order. You can place the order now and it will be despatched as soon as new stock arrives (approx. 3-10 working days).
Free delivery over £ 100 | Free UK Returns
The E Standard Collection offers a unique product with no direct competition in terms of quality, price point and a ‘Made in Japan’ provenance.
Accommodating the more traditional aspects of the premium Japanese denim collection, the Regular Tapered is made from an 11oz Kaihara, Black x White Selvage Fabric.
- Regular Tapered Fit
- Mid Rise
- Button Fly
- Made in Japan
- 100% Cotton
- Kaihara, Indigo Black x White Selvage Denim, 11oz
What Is Selvedge Denim?
Originally the denim cloth used to make jeans was produced on shuttle looms. These produced a tightly woven cloth by passing a continuous thread backwards and forwards. The resulting fabric was narrow and had finished edges or self-edges, hence the term selvedge. This fabric was relatively costly and slow to produce as were the jeans fashioned from it. When the demand for jeans rose dramatically in the latter half of the 20th century production methods were inevitably altered to create cheaper fabrics that could be produced in higher volumes. Shuttle looms were abandoned in favour of projectile looms which were quicker, which produced wider cloth and which did not use continuous threads. Denim now had unfinished edges with a frayed appearance.
Selvedge Denim Care
Here at JEANSTORE we have a few tips on how you can keep your selvedge denim looking its best - by following these simple instructions you can ensure your jeans last longer, retain their shape and colour, and reduce your environmental impact too.
- First and foremost, always follow the care instructions on the inside label of your jeans. Different jeans will have different recommendations, and these can vary depending on the nature of the fabric and the dye, amongst other things.
- To soak or not to soak? It's personal preference, but with raw/unwashed/rigid denim there will be a lot of dye on the fabric that will bleed at first. You can soak your jeans inside out in warm water for 2 hours and hang dry before first wash to get rid of some of the dye, and make them feel less stiff/starchy. Others just put them straight on and don't care if their legs and shoes end up blue!
- 'Breaking them in'. Two things to consider - is the denim raw or pre-washed? If washed, there won't be much 'breaking in' - that bit has been done for you.
For raw and rigid denim, the general consensus is to wear the jeans for as long as possible before the first wash. Nudie Jeans Co. recommends wearing your raw denim for 6 months without washing. It's not compulsory, but the longer you wear them, the better they'll fit, and the better they'll fade.
Secondly, is the denim sanforized (pre-shrunk) or unsanforized (shrink-to-fit)? Most selvedge denim we stock - even if raw/rigid - will be pre-shrunk to eliminate unexpected sizing changes. This means you can generally trust the size guide. If buying unsanforized denim, there's always an element of risk, so please ensure you follow the size guide and the washing instructions carefully! With shrink-to-fit jeans, they really can become the best denim you've ever owned as they mould to your body shape. You'll also get the most natural fades.
- Try and wash your jeans once every 10 wears at most. Sometimes this just isn't possible, but it's a good guide to follow. Every wash puts strain on the fibres and 'wears' them, so the less you wash your jeans, the longer they'll last. We always recommend hand-washing selvedge denim.
- Always wash your jeans inside out. This reduces dye/colour loss. If using a washing machine, keep the load minimal - if your jeans are too creased, the dye may fade more heavily along creases, causing streaky lines on your jeans.
- If possible, always hand wash. It's not a deal-breaker, but it is much gentler on the fabric and you'll find your jeans fade more 'naturally'. If using a washing machine, keep the heat low and use a slower cycle. With raw denim, ensure you wash them separately for the first 5 washes, as the dye will bleed and transfer to other garments. Also be careful when sitting on light coloured surfaces or wearing white shoes.
- Use natural detergents where possible. You don't want those nasty chemicals damaging your jeans, or the environment.
- Don't tumble dry! Well, you can (we do, sometimes) but results can vary. If you're in a rush and need to tumble your jeans, ensure you keep the heat low. Excessive tumble drying can change the size/shape/fit of your jeans, and they'll often feel tighter when they come out. This isn't always a problem with stretch jeans, as after several wears they can feel a bit loose. Often any changes in your denim as a result of tumble drying are a result of the machine - not the denim.
With selvedge denim, we always recommend hang-drying rather than a tumble dryer.
UK Standard Delivery: Free over £100 / £2.99 under £100.
2-3 working days / Royal Mail Tracked 48
UK Next Day Delivery: £3.99 over £250 / £5.99 over £100 / £7.99 under £100.
Next working day (order before 3pm Mon-Fri exc. bank holidays) / DHL Next Day.
6-8 working days / Royal Mail International Tracked.
Rest Of World: £24.99.
7-14 working days / Royal Mail International Tracked.
90-day no-fuss returns.
Returns in the UK are FREE.
Choose full refund including delivery cost, exchange or store credit.
If you wish to return your order, we offer a full refund or an exchange if it is sent back in brand new, resaleable condition (including all tags and product packaging) within 90 days.
Premium, next-day or international delivery costs cannot be refunded.
Read our full returns policy here.
We use industry leading security, encryption and payment providers, so you can feel confident your details are safe with us.
No employee of JEANSTORE ever has access to your payment information.
We follow all GDPR guidelines, and you can request the information we hold about you at any time.
EDWIN. Made In Japan.
The 'Made in Japan' Collection from EDWIN. offers a unique product with no direct competition in terms of quality, price point and a ‘Made in Japan’ provenance.
Premium Japanese fabrics - woven by artisans in the world-famous Nihon Menpu and Kaihara denim mills - dominate the collection in a range of authentic, yet cutting edge washes. With four fits to choose from (Loose straight, loose tapered, regular tapered and slim tapered), alongside a strong MIJ apparel collection, you need look no further for your Japanese denim fix this season.